Google
 

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Being a cartoonist-1


The best part of being a cartoonist is, even a blunder in any cartoon goes unnoticed. And the worst part is people expect cartoonists to be funny. Of course, a cartoonist tries his best to bring smile on your face. But I don’t see a cartoonist as an entertainer. For me he’s a journalist who gives opinion through his drawings, just as a journalist says something through his writing. A cartoonist is more popular because his route is humor and he’s more visible also

There are cartoonists who see themselves as entertainers. They feel their job is to make readers laugh. I completely respect their stance. It makes sense to be very clear with your profession. But many of the cartoonists, I know, consider themselves as a journalist. They yearn to reach more and more people so that what they say can be heard.

Many readers are curious to know how cartoonists work.
They come up with numerous questions. Some funny and some thought provoking.
It’s natural as they are alien to a cartoonist’s job. But when a seasoned journalist comes up with silly question, it shocks you. Like it happened once when I was interviewed by The Times of India The g who’s a very senior journalist on the desk asked me innocently ‘ Do you come up with your own ideas or someone from the desk gives you the idea for your daily cartoon?’ I was really shocked to hear that question from journalist with a publication where India’s legend cartoonist Laxman worked for decades! Just imagine what would be Laxman’s reaction if someone asked him the same question. I can imagine Laxman smacking that person!

I do realize that most of the journalists don’t know how cartoonists work, as most of the cartoonists work as a freelancer. But some cartoonists who work with a publication are used mainly as a space-filler, unless you are also into graphics. To survive in a publication (especially a newspaper) you need to be an all rounder. You have to be a utility player and capable of supporting the editorial team with all kinds of visual possibilities. Some of the cartoonists, I know, don’t like this idea. But I love this, though my first preference would be cartooning. When you become a utility player you become a good part of the edit team. You contribute to the news. And more importantly you cease to be a space-filler! I just love it!

Phew! There’s so much to write about, how we work! To be frank I haven’t started how we work. Probably in my next I would be glad, if some reporter or desk journalist write about how they work! It would be great fun to share that ‘little secret’ with readers. Isn’t it?
(I have posted some of the illustrations I have done for midday. I dont think they are space filler. I believe they contributed to the story)

No comments: